Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hit and Run Part 2

I found out that I won't get reimbursed for the deductible. I started to have a panic attack when my insurance agent was giving me the news.  The police went to look at the car in question and couldn't find any damage. They went recently. It's been almost two weeks since it happened. So I don't know if this driver had time to get the car repaired. The good samaritan that gave me the license plate of the other car may have given me the wrong plate number. Which is scary. My brain that night thought I saw the plate starting with the letter Y. I thought the number she gave me was too good to be true. I asked her repeatedly if she was sure this was the right number.
The dark side of me started to freak out. I worried that the good samaritan was just trying to mess with someone she had a beef with. I called the gas station to find out if they had surveillance cameras. The clerk said that the police had come by to check them, but I don't know if it was in regard to my case. I have to call again when the manager is there. The paranoid side started getting scared that the police might think I filed a false report. Friends and family have since reassured me not to worry. This is such a mess. I don't know what I should do. $500 is a lot to have to shell out for something that isn't my fault. But it's all the extra drama that is freaking me out. I don't know if I should pursue this further or just let it go. I was so naive to think this guy was going to get out of his car and exchange insurance information with me. My father, brothers, and husband have all had their fair share of accidents but the other drivers never fled. Was it because I was a woman? How often does this happen?
The lesson that I learned was to find a pen and start writing a number down. Then call the police. I'll have to assume, if there is ever a next time, that the other driver is not going to do the right thing.

No comments: